Soh Leng Neo (Bukit Brown)

Madam Soh Leng Neo passed away on 19 March 1934 at No. 1 Lorong 36 Geylang at the age of 78 years. She is survived by her sons, Wee Giang Tye and Wee Giang Kiat. 
Listed on her tomb are also the name of her daughter; Wee Chik Neo
Grandsons; Eddie Wee, Elec Wee, Charlie Wee, William Wee, Wee Mak Kim 
Granddaughters: Wee Pin Neo, Amy Wee, Rani Wee, Irene Wee, Millie Wee

Madam Soh Leng Neo 


Son: Wee Giang Tye /Wee Giang Thye
In a newspaper article dated 1958, Wee Giang Tye, then 67 was reported as the oldest staff to serve the Netherlands Trading Society's Singapore Branch.  He studied in Raffles Institution and started working there when he turned 17 years of age at monthly salary of $30.

Wee Giang Tye


Son: Wee Giang Kiat
Wee Giang Kiat (Kechut) passsed away on  28 March 1968. He was a Vice-President of the Forget-Me-Not Party in 1929.

Wee Giang Kiat


Location of tomb 

Madam Soh Leng Neo is buried in Hill 3 Division D, plot 239.



References

Deaths. (1934, March 20). The Straits Times, page 10
Mr. Wee Serves Bank For Nearly Half A Century. (1958, May 1).Singapore Standard, page 3
http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/maltribune19500428-1.2.118

Comments

  1. Hi there,
    I am contacting you from Sydney Australia regarding you blog from 15th March 2017 Soh Leng Neo (Bukit Brown).

    Wee Giang Tye was my great grandfather, Amy Wee was my grandmother. I am in the middle of completing family tree research when I stumbled across your blog!! Any other info you can provide me would be much appreciated. Is the grave you photographed still there?
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia,

    The tomb is still there. I don't have other info i am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, thanks so much. I'll be sure to visit next time I'm in Singapore. I am really happy to have come across this blog entry, it has helped further my research Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Julia,

    I came across your post while researching my own family tree - Wee Giang Kiat was my great-grandfather. Millie Wee was my grandmother. This is pretty amazing. I wondered if you might like to get in touch and exchange what information we have on our respective ends.

    Cheers,
    Shirin

    PS Rojak Librarian - thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, look me up on myheritage.com and we can link family trees there.
      Julia

      Delete
  5. Hi Shirin,
    let’s definitely get in touch and share info! Im glad you saw my comment. My dad went to Singapore last week and got more detailed photos of the grave. What is your email address?
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shirin and Julia,

    Could you leave your email, please?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi anonymous
    You can reach me at juliadesouza14@hotmail.com
    I assume this is about family tree research?
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. wee giang kiat's son James married Molly SEET

    https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19501219-1.2.84.1?ST=1&AT=search&k=Molly%20SEET&QT=molly,seet&oref=article

    SEET family below:

    https://tombs.bukitbrown.org/2018/07/seet.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I can also be reached at rojaklibrarian@gmail.com

Labels

Show more