|Cheang Hong Lim|
Opium and Spirit
Cheang Hong Lim, like his father Cheang Sam Teo and his brother Cheang Hong Guan, were leading licensed Spirits merchant. Cheang Hong Lim expanded his Spirit license to eventually Opium as well. Cheang Hong Lim together with his competitors, Tan Seng Poh and Tan Hiok Nee (Tan Yeok Nee) held tight control of this in the 1870's . They were coined as the Great Syndicate, holding licenses in Singapore, Johor, Melaka, Riau Opium and Spirit Farms and were fierce competitors as well.
|source: Singapore and Straits Directory 1881|
In 1876, Cheang Hong Lim donated $3,000 in the creation of a public garden, thereafter named Hong Lim Green . He erected a temple in Havelock Road named "Geok Hong Tian" and maintained a private market on the site of Hong Lim Market (Cheang Hong Lim Market 1882). He was known for his generosity in advancing loans to poor stall holders and fisherman who in a number of instance, did not pay him back. When he died, it was found that he loaned a total of $400,000 to his "friends" and this loans were statute-barred (i.e. unable to take legal claim or action).
|Geok Hong Tian|
Cheang Hong Lim was made a Justice of Peace in March 28, 1873 , a member of the Legislative Council and for many years sat in the Committee of the Po Leong Kuk. He was recognised by the Government as the head of the Hokkien Chinese Community in 1892.
Cheang Hong Lim Fire Brigade
In 1886, Cheang Hong Lim started his own Fire Brigade in Havelock Road for the protection of the district (this is in part to his interest, has he has numerous properties in that area). There was also a documented instance when Cheang Hong Lim's fire engine even arrived on scene earlier ! Cheang Hong Lim's fire engine is manned by 37 persons working by turns, dressed in uniform and wearing caps bearing the Chinese name "Wan Seng".
Cheang Hong Lim and Dr Lim Boon Keng
Dr Lim Boon Keng is the second son of Mr Lim Thean Geow and grandson of Mr. Lim Mah Peng. Mr Lim Mah Peng was the manager of Cheang Hong Lim's Spirit Farm and his son, Mr Lim Thean Geow the Assistant. When Mr Lim Thean Geow passed away, a young Lim Boon Keng was a brilliant student studying in Raffles Institution (born September 5, 1869) and the recipient of the Higher Scholarship. The principal, Mr. Hullet approached Cheang Hong Lim to be the sponsor. Lim Boon Keng went on to distinguish himself. (that is another story on its own)
Streets and Places
Places named after him include Hong Lim Park, Hong Lim Market, Cheang Wan Seng Place, Cheang Hong Lim Street . Grave list his official Qing Dynasty Imperial title.
|Cheang Hong Lim|
Cheang Hong Lim passed away on February 11, 1893 leaving behind a large amount of property for distribution among his many children. An interesting item to note that probate of his will was given to his eldest daughter, Cheang Cheow Lian Neo ( Mrs. Lim Kwee Eng) to be trustee in executing his will. It was rare that a woman was appointed trustee at that time, especially for the Chinese.
He was reburied in Block 4 Division C on December 26, 1961 with a special permit. The original family grave located off Alexandra Rd -Mei Ling St. His parents, wives, children are buried here (but not next to him).
Sons: Cheang Jim Hean, Cheang Jim Chuan, Cheang Jim Kheng, Cheang Jim Khean, Cheang Jim Siew, Cheang Jim Ho, Cheang Jim Seong, Cheang Jim Eng, Cheang Jim Kwan, Cheang Jim Kong and Cheang Jim Khoon.
Song, O.S. (1984). One hundred years history of the Chinese in Singapore. Singapore: Oxford University Press.
Ch'ing's Sale of Honours and the Chinese Leadership in Singapore and Malaya (1877-1912)
Yen Ching-Hwang .Journal of Southeast Asian Studies , Vol. 1, No. 2 (Sep., 1970) , pp. 20-32
Published by: Cambridge University Press on behalf of Department of History, National University of Singapore. Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/20069870
The Rise of Singapore's Great Opium Syndicate, 1840-86. Carl A. Trocki.Journal of Southeast Asian Studies , Vol. 18, No. 1 (Mar., 1987) , pp. 58-80
Published by: Cambridge University Press on behalf of Department of History, National University of Singapore.Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/20070942
The Singapore and Straits directory for 1881, containing also directories of Sarawak, Labuan, Siam, Johore and the Protected Native States of the Malay Peninsula and an appendix. [website] BookSG